- The Orioles are an impressive 17-6 on Opening Days at Camden Yards (a .73 win percentage). At Memorial Stadium the Orioles were 24-14 on Opening Days (a .632 win percentage). Between the two stadiums, the Orioles are 41-20 (a .672 win percentage).
- Over a million people (1,081,610 to be precise) have attended Opening Day at Camden Yards, averaging 47,027 people per year. The current stadium seating capacity is listed at 45,971. The highest attendance for Opening Day was in 2010 at 48,891 (but there were 48,290 seats back then).
- A total of 12 starters have been used for the 23 Opening Days at Camden Yards.
- Mike Mussina had the most Opening Day starts for the Orioles at 6, but the Orioles were 3-3 when he started. The next most common starter was a tie between Rodrigo Lopez and Jake Arrieta, with 3 Opening Day starts each (all 6 of which ended with a win).
- The Orioles have averaged 4.96 runs a game for Opening Days, while giving up an average of 3.57 runs. They have out-scored opponents 114-82 in all Opening Days in Camden Yards, good for a +32 run differential.
- The Orioles have scored 10 runs 3 times (1999,2002,2009), and have only been shutout once in 1995. The highest overall scoreline was a 10-7 Orioles win vs the Rays in 1999. The other two 10 run games were wins vs the Yankees (2002 and 2009).
- The 10-3 win over the Yankees in 2002 gave us the largest run differential at +7.
- The average game-time on Opening Day is 2 hours and 58 minutes. The shortest opening day game was the very first game in Camden Yards in 1992 at 2 hours and 2 minutes. The longest games were in 1999 and 2003. Both games lasted 3 hours and 45 minutes. The game in 2003 included a snowy 13 innings.
- The average temperature is 58 degrees on Opening Days at Camden Yards. The warmest year was 1998 at 84 degrees and the coldest was in 2004 at 43 degrees.
- After beating the Red Sox 2-1 in 2014, we're currently on a 4 year Opening Day win streak. In those 4 games, we've outscored our opponents 20-9. Jake Arrieta had the first 3 wins, with Chris Tillman winning in 2014.
- We've never lost back-to-back Opening Days.
- The Orioles are awesome. Let's Go O's!
With Opening Day for the Orioles just two weeks away, a look back at previous Opening Days is in order (I love the Orioles and stats in general, so buckle up!). Unless otherwise specified, these stats are for Oriole Park at Camden Yards (1992-2014).
Follow us online!
Want to help keep the site going?